Sunday, September 23, 2007

As with every job at hand problems arise, difficulties surface, and bad tendencies start to develop. I am a strong believer that as a manager you are supposed to provide consistent motivation to your employees and encouragement to attain excellence in your employees daily performance. At my present workplace we lack managerial skills and some good work ethics.

It is very disturbing to see how my department is run. There is no sense of direction or organization among employees and managers. There is alot that is overlooked by my managers. There are several employees that implement their own rules and procedures. Most of them come in late every day, take long lunches, spend hours on personal calls, leave early without having accomplished their works day, submit excessive overtime without probable cause, take more vacation and sick time then they are allowed. This is to list a few of the many downfalls in my department. I have realized that my assistant manager can't seem to distinguish a personal relationship from a work oriented relationship. Because of this, it's why I feel like he is running a circus instead of a professional corporate atmosphere. When I observe my surroundings I get discouraged and it becomes a less comfortable place to work in. I am a considerate employee but can easily become drifted into an "I don't care" type of mode. I didn't have a problem with my employees up until it started affecting my job duties. Their lack of working habits were creating extra work for me. This is where I loss my patience and became very outspoken. It took my actions to be finally taking serious and heard. Once I expressed myself to the assistant manager he had no defense for himself because he knew I was more than right and all he could say was "Thanks for your honesty, I will see that things change around here"

I am not a confrontational employee. I have always displayed loyalty, honesty, trustworthiness, reliabilty and self-responsibility throughout my eleven plus years at this company. What I dislike is abuse, unfairness, and favoritism. As an employee I demand respect and consideration. What I expect from them is basically everything I give them less the aggravation that has been imposed in me recently.

3 comments:

luna said...

I understand your position, and I have gotten to the point where my attitude already became the "I don't care" mode. There was a time when I too expressed myself and all I got was how my attitude was wrong. After hearing this, all I did was nod and said ok. What do you think about this? Do you think this is fair?

Serena said...

It is very unfortunate to hear the attitudes your coworkers have towards their job. And I think it is great that you have spoke out. Somethings it hard, because for many people all they wanted is to make sure they get their paycheck, and that is pretty much it. If the manager does not say anything about their leaving early, taking long lunch break...etc, people will take the advantage of that. And at the end, thing are not being done but those people are still getting paid. For people who actually do their job, it is very unfair.

Unknown said...

You are working in a really complicated environmnet but it was good that you expressed yourself. My first job was something similar to what you have, but I decided not to change my managers and co-workers, just waist of time for everyone, but to find the better job and perform my best to the company I am working now.